What better way to start the summer than with a light and fruity snack? This recipe is ridiculously easy, and satisfies your sweet tooth without the guilt! Only 140 calories in each muffin, and even less if you take out the chocolate chips (but who wants to do that?)
Replacing the usual butter or oil with unsweetened applesauce makes these muffins super moist and low in fat! You can also replace the strawberries with any other kind of berry (blueberry, blackberry, etc.), or even add some nuts for an extra crunch! Eat these for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert, but make sure to wash it down with a big glass of
With such a simple list of ingredients and less than 20 minutes in the oven, these muffins are almost too easy. Another plus side: it’s a small batch recipe, making 8 muffins, so you aren’t tempted to eat more than your fair share 🙂 I had a good time making these muffins, minus the fact that I split open the bag of chocolate chips and spilled half of them all over the floor. Whoops.
First mix up the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, and baking soda), then mix in the brown sugar, applesauce, egg white, strawberries, and chocolate chips (without spilling). Pop them in the oven and voilà, you’ve got yourself a fresh batch of deliciousness.
If you can’t tell, I’m really into these muffins and I think everyone should make them, like, now.
Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2/3 cup diced strawberries
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray muffin pan with nonstick spray, or use some cute muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and cinnamon then set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and applesauce until together until no brown sugar lumps remain (fork works well to break up brown sugar). Add the beaten egg white until fully incorporated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry until just combined – do not overmix. Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between 8 muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes (mine took 18). Muffins will be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. Allow muffins to cool.